Sunday, January 24, 2016

Christmas Day 2015

Vince and I woke up Christmas morning a little tired from our busy Christmas Eve, but our hearts were filled with joy for the day ahead...


It was a peaceful Christmas morning in Anchorage


Santa brought me a new stocking!! It even had
doxies on it- my fave! Can't wait to get a puppy ;)


Vince got some croakies for his sunglasses, movie gift cards,
and some new pj's; and I got a pasta roller and a doxie kitchen towel :)

We opened the rest of our gifts, made a good breakfast (eggs & bacon of course!), and got ready to volunteer for a few hours at Anchorage's main soup kitchen- Bean's Cafe.


People were already lining up when we arrived- exciting!


We got a quick briefing of the kitchen and manned our stations.
We were in the "back of the house," but we could see the dining room.
It was truly a wonderful feeling getting to help others on such a special day.

Vince and I didn't want to leave the soup kitchen, but other volunteers were showing up for their turns, so we cleaned up and headed home to prepare our own Christmas dinner. We decided on an Italian menu to celebrate, and I couldn't wait to get cooking!


The beginnings of my Roman-style gnocchi...


Tomato sauce from scratch


Final product: Roman-style gnocchi with fresh tomato sauce


Our porchetta-style pork shoulder turned out beautifully!


I made a simple saute of broccolini, garlic & olive oil to go with the pork


Yum


And for dessert? Tiramisu of course! We finished our dinner,
cleaned up the kitchen, settled into our jammies, and enjoyed some
Christmas movies before calling it a night. It was an amazing first
"married" Christmas, and one I'll always cherish :)


No comments:

Post a Comment